A federal judge, late last week, ordered the Trump administration to fully restore the DACA program, which amnesties illegal aliens brought to the U.S. as minors from deportation, included in the order was a mandate to begin accepting new applications, reports The Hill.
The ruling came from U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis, a Clinton appointee based in New York City. It marks the first time since 2017 that the government would admit new immigrants into the disastrous program.
Approved applicants will also receive two-year work permits under the ruling, as opposed to the one-year permits the administration had proposed.
The Hill reports:
Garaufis’s ruling centered around a memo acting Homeland Security secretary Chad Wolf issued in July that curtailed DACA recipients’ work permits to a year and banned new applicants. The court ruled last month that Wolf had ascended to the post in violation of the Homeland Security Act of 2002, and said Friday that the memo was void. The order mandates the White House administer DACA under the guidelines that were in place when the program was first created during the Obama administration.
“The court believes that these additional remedies are reasonable,” Garaufis wrote. Roughly a million undocumented immigrant teens and young adults will now be able to apply for the program following the order, according to some estimates. About 640,000 immigrants are currently enrolled in the DACA program.
Presidential candidate Joe Biden had said before the ruling that he planned to fully restore the DACA program if he won the election.
The Department of Homeland Security and the Justice Department can appeal the ruling.
For the complete story, please visit The Hill.
Updated: Mon, Dec 21st 2020 @ 1:10pm EST