The southern Piedmont (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia) is one of the fastest growing regions in the United States. The result is rapidly vanishing open spaces. Population growth in the region is driving sprawl, causing 86% of the loss of open space from 1982 to 2012. Per capita land consumption is responsible for the other 14%. Local, state, and national policies are responsible for attracting new residents to the Piedmont, and immigration policy plays a large role, as 40% of population growth in the southern Piedmont is due to new immigrants and their children.
The Washington Examiner reports the Immigration Reform Law Institute (IRLI) and a number groups are suing the Department of Homeland Security, alleging that its policies did not take into consideration the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act. Julie Axelrod, IRLI’s lead counsel on the case, said, “Our lawsuit will demonstrate that legal and illegal immigration have a very significant impact on the environment, which DHS has spent the last 46 years ignoring.”
Utah has second fastest rate of urban sprawl
By Nicolas Walker -- Utah People's Post
A new study has found that Utah has the nation’s second-fastest rate of urban sprawl. The urban in Utah are moving to farmland and open space for new development, the study says.
According to the experts, this is the result of the fast growing population that is forcing people to leave the central urban areas.
Our latest study on sprawl -- "VANISHING OPEN SPACES: How an Exploding U.S. Population Is Devouring the Land that Feeds and Nourishes Us" -- tells a sad tale of woe for the nation's farmland and natural habitat. In just the eight years from 2002 to 2010, over 8.3 million acres (approximately 13,000 square miles) of farmland and natural habitat succumbed to the bulldozer's blade. That is an area larger than the entire state of Maryland -- cleared, scraped, filled, paved and built over -- in less than a decade.
Study: Utah has second-fastest urban sprawl
By Lee Davidson -- The Salt Lake Tribune
Utah has the nation’s second-fastest rate of urban sprawl gobbling up farmland and open space for new development, according to a new study.
A Pulse Opinon poll sponsored by NumbersUSA of 1,000 likely voters found that Americans are concerned about urban sprawl. 77% of Americans saw the destruction of farmland and natural habitat as a result of urban sprawl as a major problem or somewhat of a problem.
Progressives for Immigration Reform (PFIR) announced a major new project: an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) on U.S. immigration policy. PFIR also unveiled the website for the new project, and invited public comments on the study.The main policy decision to be evaluated in the new EIS is what level Congress should set for annual immigration into the United States.
No, I'm not suggesting that immigrants deliberately or inadvertently destroy more green space than U.S.-born residents. In fact, each immigrant on average destroys a bit less. But the numbers of immigrants (4 times the traditional average) are resulting in the clearing, scraping and developing of nearly a million additional acres of natural habitat and farmland every year. Is this not a crisis demanding urgent attention on this week of the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day?