Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN) have cosponsored the bipartisan SAVE Act.
The SAVE Act (S.1505) would use currently available tools and resources to increase interior enforcement of federal immigration laws.In securing the borders, the SAVE Act would:
- add 6,000 border patrol agents, utilizing new technology;
- improve recruitment with focus on former agents and former members of the Armed Services and Reserves; and
- create a pilot program to increase aerial surveillance, satellite and equipment sharing with the Departments of Homeland Security and Defense.
In fighting illegal hiring, the SAVE Act would:
- make E-Verify mandatory for all employers;
- increase monitoring of compliance of the E-Verify system;
- require notification of identity theft; and
- require information sharing between the Social Security Administration, Department of Homeland Security and the Internal Revenue Service.
In increasing interior enforcement, the SAVE Act would:
- add ICE agents and increase grants to local law enforcement; and
- expedite the deportation process by increasing detention capacity and the number of immigration judges.
Updated: Thu, Aug 6th 2009 @ 1:15pm EDT