According to Newsweek, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reported that the agency's helpline, set up by the Trump Administration, received more than 5,000 tips, reporting H-1B visa fraud and abuse, between April 3, 2017 and May 21, 2018.
USCIS announced the the launch of the hotline, set up by the Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate (FDNS), last year in an effort to combat fraud and abuse after Pres. Trump signed the "Buy American Hire American" executive order.
USCIS said that the helpline was to provide an avenue for "individuals (including both American workers and H-1B workers who suspect they or others may be the victim of H-1B fraud or abuse) to submit tips, alleged violations and other relevant information about potential H-1B fraud or abuse."
The agency also announced that it would be taking a "more targeted approach" while making site visits to H-1B petitioners and their employees' worksites. USCIS said it would place a more concentrated focus on cases where they are unable to verify employer's "basic business information through commercially available data," and promised to investigate employers who are dependent on a high ratio of H-1B workers compared to American workers. USCIS also said they would investigate employers petitioning for H-1B employees who will be working at off-site locations.
For more on this story, see Newsweek.
Updated: Fri, Jun 15th 2018 @ 10:25am EDT