A new poll conducted by National Research Inc., and The Polling Company shows overwhelming support for many of the Trump administration’s new immigration policy priorities, including putting American workers first.
The poll took place from August 11-13 with 1,201 participants. One-third of the participants were interviewed on land-line phones, another third was conducted through the internet, and the last third completed the interview on their mobile phone.
The key findings include:
- 71% call on companies to offer jobs to Americans before foreign workers.
- 82% of voters support a law that would strengthen sentencing penalties for illegals who had previously been deported and strengthens laws against illegal immigrants who commit crimes in the U.S.
- 76% want more ICE officers.
- 75% support Trump's focus on jailing MS-13 members
- 73% believe immigrants must be able to support themselves financially.
- By a 2-to-1 margin, voters support limiting the number of immigrants who are seeking to live here just because their relatives do, so-called "chain migration."
- 59% said new immigrants should be required to speak English.
- 64% back legislation that would create a point system based on factors such as English speaking ability, education levels and job skills to rank applicants for the 140,000 employment-based green cards that are granted annually by the United States.
The White House’s new immigration priorities addresses all of the concerns above. Specifically, the administration seeks to protect American workers by requiring all employers to use E-Verify and ending chain migration.
"The administration's immigration priorities represent the mainstream view of the overwhelming majority of Americans," a Trump administration official told the Washington Examiner.
Read more on this story or view the full poll at The Washington Examiner.
Updated: Tue, Oct 10th 2017 @ 1:39pm EDT