The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) supports Rep. Lamar Smith’s (R-Texas) Legal Workforce Act, which would require all employers to use E-Verify within two years. The bill would fulfill NumbersUSA's top enforcement priority by eliminating the jobs magnet for illegal aliens.
"SHRM believes that a legal workforce must be a key element of any effective immigration policy, including a reliable, national and entirely electronic employment-eligibility verification system that provides employers with certainty that new employees are authorized to work in the U.S.," said Chatrane Birbal, a senior government relations advisor at SHRM.
Specifically, SHRM supports congressional reforms that would:
- Pre-empt the patchwork of state laws with one reliable, accurate and easily accessible federal employment verification system.
- Create an integrated, entirely electronic system that eliminates the paper Form I-9.
- Use state-of-the-art technology to accurately authenticate a job applicant's identity, such as knowledge-based authentication to protect against identity theft.
- Ensure a safe harbor from liability for good-faith program users.
- Require employment verification only for new hires.
Rep. Smith's bill would accomplish all of the reforms listed above.
Read more on this story at shrm.org.
Updated: Wed, Sep 27th 2017 @ 12:50pm EDT