NumbersUSA with the Coalition for the Future American Worker has launched the above "elevator ad" in an extended nationwide educational campaign on cable news TV.
The purpose of the ad is to inform the public of two government statistics that, when placed together, show an outrageous participation of our federal government in increasing the numbers of unemployed Americans.
The two outrageous statistics?
- 15 million workers in the U.S. are officially unemployed, looking but unable to find any kind of work
- The federal government continues to bring in 1.5 million new foreign workers to take jobs
The ad above is a version that ran earlier this year and talks about 2.5 million jobs lost in the last year. By now, the number is above 5 million. The version of the ad running on TV instead mentions the 15 million unemployed figure.
NumbersUSA has been doing everything in its power the last year to persuade the nation's political leaders and media leaders to address this incongruous policy. Yet to date, there has been no indication whatsoever of a slow-down in importing an average of 125,000 new foreign workers each month.
NumbersUSA last November called for a suspension of most immigration.
With the launch of this ad campaign in August, NumbersUSA is accelerating its mobilization for a time-out on the importation of most foreign workers.
The fact is that U.S. immigration policies are on automatic pilot. It doesn't matter how terrible the economy becomes -- it doesn't matter that 15 million Americans are looking for a job and can't find one. No matter what, businesses can still seek to cut their labor costs by bringing in as many foreign workers as they did when the economy was booming.
The feds will keep cranking out 125,000 new work permits and green cards EACH MONTH to working-age foreign adults unless Congress and the President decide to change current policies so that they serve the interests of American workers.
What can you do?
- Call President Obama at 202-456-1111 and ask him to stop talking about "comprehensive immigration reform" which means comprehensive immigration increases. Tell the person answering the phone that the administration should suspend most work visas and green cards until it can be determined that issuing them will not harm the chances of unemployed Americans.
- Send a fax to your Senators and Representatives urging them to suspend immigration until unemployment is back to a low level.
- Read NumbersUSA's fact sheet "Putting Americans Back to Work".
- Forward this page to as many Americans as possible to educate them about the statistics the media and government don't want them to know -- and to warn them what may happen to their jobs if they don't join you in taking action.
- Post your comments about the ad and this campaign.
Since 1996, NumbersUSA...
- ...has championed the cause of the American worker...
- ...by educating the public about the recommendations of the bi-partisan U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform, chaired by the great civil rights leader Barbara Jordan.
Barbara Jordan found that even during healthy economic times, our level of foreign labor importation was significantly harming the most vulnerable members of our national community. In near-depression times, the effect is devastating.
"Elevator Ad" Script
Another American has lost his job.
Another breadwinner going home with the bad news.
Last year, two and a half million Americans lost jobs.
High-tech, construction and auto workers; engineers.
Yet, with millions of Americans jobless, our government is still bringing in a million and a half foreign workers a year to take American jobs.
Could your job be next?