U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has increased the maximum period of time that a Trade-NAFTA professional worker from Canada or Mexico may remain in the United States. The rule change increases the period of stay from one year to three years, equaling the initial period of time granted to H-1B workers.

The Trade-NAFTA visa classification is eligible to Mexicans and Canadians with at least a bachelor's degree and work in qualifying fields pursuant to the North American Free Trade Agreement. Qualified professionals include, but are not limited to, accountants, engineers, attorneys, pharmacists, scientists and teachers.

The rule change benefits the Trade-NAFTA workers as well as their spouses and unmarried minor children who are allowed entry on the vias. It also benefits U.S. employers by increasing the amount of time workers can work before having to seek extensions.

For more information, click here.

American workers
High-Tech Worker Visas