Rep. Jo Bonner (R-Alabama) has cosponsored House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885). The bill would require 100% of businesses to begin using E-Verify for all new hires within 2 years and require all federal, state, and local governments to check new hires and existing employees within 6 months.
Rep. Bonner represents Alabama's 1st Congressional District and is serving his 4th term in Congress. He has earned a career B+ grade.
Chairman Smith's bill would:
- Require federal and state contractors, critical infrastructure employers, and business that employ more than 10,000 workers to use E-Verify within 6 months.
- Require federal, state, and local agencies to E-Verify their current workforce within 6 months.
- Allow states to use its authority over business licensing to penalize business that don't use E-Verify.
- Require the Social Security Administration to notify employers when an employee's information does not match the information in their database and notify employees when their Social Security number is being used with multiple employers.
- Require ICE to respond to state reports of employers possibly hiring illegal workers within 5 business days.
Rep. Bonner's cosponsorship brings the total number of sponsors of Chairman Smith's bill to 63.
Updated: Mon, Oct 2nd 2017 @ 3:24pm EDT