Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah) has cosponsored Chairman Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885) that would require 100% of businesses to use E-Verify within two years. The bill also requires all federal, state, and local governments to E-Verify their entire workforce.
Rep. Matheson is serving his sixth term in Congress and represents Utah's 2nd Congressional District and has earned a career C-plus grade. This Congress, Rep. Matheson has also cosponsored Rep. Heath Shuler's (D-N.C.) SAVE Act that would also require mandatory E-Verify and increase border security.
Chairman Smith's bill would:
- Require federal and state contractors, critical infrastructure employers, and business that employ more than 10,000 workers to use E-Verify within 6 months.
- Require federal, state, and local agencies to E-Verify their current workforce within 6 months.
- Allow states to use its authority over business licensing to penalize business that don't use E-Verify.
- Require the Social Security Administration to notify employers when an employee's information does not match the information in their database and notify employees when their Social Security number is being used with multiple employers.
- Require ICE to respond to state reports of employers possibly hiring illegal workers within 5 business days.
Rep. Matheson's cosponsorship brings the total number of sponsors of Chairman Smith's bill to 73.
Originally Published: Mon, Jan 23rd 2012 @ 4:22pm EST