Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) has cosponsored Chairman Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885) that would require 100% of businesses to use E-Verify within two years. The bill also requires all federal, state, and local governments to E-Verify their entire workforce.
Rep.Stearns is serving his 12th term in Congress and represents Florida's 6th Congressional District and has earned a career A-plus grade. This Congress, Rep. Stearns has also cosponsored Rep. Steve King's bill to end Birthright Citizenship.
Chairman Smith's bill would:
- Require federal and state contractors, critical infrastructure employers, and business that employ more than 10,000 workers to use E-Verify within 6 months.
- Require federal, state, and local agencies to E-Verify their current workforce within 6 months.
- Allow states to use its authority over business licensing to penalize business that don't use E-Verify.
- Require the Social Security Administration to notify employers when an employee's information does not match the information in their database and notify employees when their Social Security number is being used with multiple employers.
- Require ICE to respond to state reports of employers possibly hiring illegal workers within 5 business days.
Rep. Stearn's cosponsorship brings the total number of sponsors of Chairman Smith's bill to 74.
Updated: Thu, Feb 9th 2012 @ 1:40pm EST