Rep. Dan Boren (D-Okla.) has cosponsored Chairman Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885) becoming the third Democrat to add his name to the bill. The bill would require 100% of businesses to begin using E-Verify for all new hires within 2 years and require all federal, state, and local governments to check new hires and existing employees within 6 months.
Rep. Boren is serving his fourth term in Congress and represents Oklahoma's 2nd Congressional District. He has earned a career B-plus grade, making him one of the highest rated Democrats in Congress.
Chairman Smith's bill would:
- Require federal and state contractors, critical infrastructure employers, and business that employ more than 10,000 workers to use E-Verify within 6 months.
- Require federal, state, and local agencies to E-Verify their current workforce within 6 months.
- Allow states to use its authority over business licensing to penalize business that don't use E-Verify.
- Require the Social Security Administration to notify employers when an employee's information does not match the information in their database and notify employees when their Social Security number is being used with multiple employers.
- Require ICE to respond to state reports of employers possibly hiring illegal workers within 5 business days.
Rep. Boren's cosponsorship brings the total number of sponsors of Chairman Smith's bill to 71.
Updated: Thu, Dec 15th 2011 @ 5:01pm EST