Rep. Mark Amodei (R-Nev.) has cosponsored House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith's Legal Workforce Act (H.R.2885). The bill would require 100% of businesses to begin using E-Verify for all new hires within 2 years and require all federal, state, and local governments to check new hires and existing employees within 6 months.
Rep. Amodei represents Nevada's 2nd Congressional District. Rep. Amodei won the seat vacated by now-Senator Dean Heller and is the most junior Member of the House of Representatives along with New York Rep. Bob Turner.
Chairman Smith's bill would:
- Require federal and state contractors, critical infrastructure employers, and business that employ more than 10,000 workers to use E-Verify within 6 months.
- Require federal, state, and local agencies to E-Verify their current workforce within 6 months.
- Allow states to use its authority over business licensing to penalize business that don't use E-Verify.
- Require the Social Security Administration to notify employers when an employee's information does not match the information in their database and notify employees when their Social Security number is being used with multiple employers.
- Require ICE to respond to state reports of employers possibly hiring illegal workers within 5 business days.
Rep. Amodei's cosponsorship brings the total number of sponsors of Chairman Smith's bill to 67.
Updated: Mon, Oct 2nd 2017 @ 3:23pm EDT