Published Date:  

2007-03-21 04:00

Public Description:  

The bill would grant either a nonimmigrant B tourist/business visa or F student visa to an alien who: (1) is the spouse or child of a legal permanent resident ; and (2) seeks admission for purposes of visiting the permanent resident spouse or parent or for studying in the United States. (Student visas have been shown to be an effective method for terrorist elements to lawfully enter, and then remain in the United States. To wit, according to a recent study, which investigated the immigration histories of 94 terrorists operating within our borders between the early 1990s and 2004 – including six of the September 11 hijackers, and all of whom sought to stay permanently following lawful admission – 18 of these foreign nationals had student visas and four more had had applications approved to change their status from tourist to student. As for the tourist visa, the New Immigrant Survey indicates that it is the most-abused visa by eventual immigrants.)

To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to permit the admission to the United States of nonimmigrant students and visitors who are the spouses and children of United States permanent resident aliens, and for other purposes.

NumbersUSA's Position:  


Bill Number:  

H.R. 1628